French learning materials
Jun 17, 2018
I have recently started learning French. Here is a list of some of the materials that I have been
- Duolingo: A popular app, and quite addicting. While it doesn’t do much for
conversations or grammar, it is an incredible tool for
- Complete French Grammar: A great book on French grammar. I have been reading it in conjunction to Duolingo exercises to learn the rules behind verb conjugation.
- Coffee Break French: A French
learning podcast for complete beginners. It moves very slow, but provides
thorough lessons on pronunciation.
- Learn French by Podcast: A more fast
moving French podcast. Each lesson proceeds by repeating a paragraph of
spoken french several times, then breaking down each part and going over the
words involved. I have been listening to each lesson twice and it is quite
satisfying to feel my understanding improve immensly on the second listen.
- Watching TV in French: Popular French movies such as Amelie or Raw are an
option (and should be watched regardless of the learning benefits),
but I’ve found I learn better through watching some of my favorite
TV shows with French dubs. Netflix has French dubs available for numerous
shows and movies.